06 April, 2008

One Week Out

Only one week until the Canberra marathon. I have been cutting back on the K's and and taking it easy. We only did about 16 this morning and at about 5:15 pace. I had a few niggles through the week. A sore right calf gave me a scare but I slapped on some Voltaren gel and it seems to have done the trick. I am feeling good and looking forward to being in Canberra. it wil be good to catch up with many running friends. I enjoy watching and cheering the 10K on Saturday afternoon.

I hope it won't be too cold at the start of the marathon. Since I am staying at the Telopea Inn I will try and stay in my room as long as possible. The trouble is though, I like to be out where the people are so I can soak up the incredible pre-race atmosphere. It is facinating to watch the different ways in which runners act in those 15 to 20 minutes before the start.

6 comments:

Robert Song said...

Rob, it will be good to see you again next week end. Seems funny that we have to go to Canberra to catch up.

You've got me wondering about my pre-race routine though?

Toasty said...

Will be cheering you on Rob, so keep an eye out.

Superflake said...

We all realised we should have one more gel, more sunscreen, an extra toilet stop, and more water. Oh and where is my number?
Good luck Rob.See you on Sat at the 10k.

Tesso said...

Yeah, not long to go now!

I bumped into Karisma yesterday and ran with her for a few minutes, she said she'd caught up with you and Tegwin and reckoned you guys were on fire.

See you in Canberra. Oh, and like you I am dreading the cold.

speedygeoff said...

We are hoping for a zero degrees start. See you on the front line, Rob! Ewen says I have to stay behind you for the first 40k. Looks like I will manage that part of his instructions, no problem!

Ewen said...

It was something like that Speedygeoff. If you're lacking confidence, leave your sprint until the last 195 metres.

You Qlders could be lucky - not that cold this morning - about 8C. Yesterday it was 10C at 7am - perfect for a singlet and no gloves :)