28 January, 2009

Canberra Marathon Training

Though I am feeling much better and my legs aren't objecting so much to running I am not all that pleased with my progress thus far.

On Sunday I had plans to do around 34K. Tigger and I had agreed a new route and we were looking forward to giving it a go. However, Tigger called in sick so Craig and I set out with Craig intending to do only 21K. We headed from Park Road via Gregory Tce to the Royal Brisbane Hospital then onto Newstead and back along the River. I left Craig as we were running through New Farm. The humidity was absolutely horrendous and already I was having thoughts of cutting my run short. I ran along the floating walkway an onto the Story Bridge then round through Dockside, back under the bridge and along Kangaroo Point. I was feeling pretty awful by this stage and the plan was to run through South Bank, West End via Riverside Drive and round to the Green Bridge at UQ and back to Park Road. As I was running through South Bank I thought "this is madness" and headed across the Victoria Bridge and along the River to Park Road, passing Craig along the way. I was relieved to get back but had only run 24K. A tad short of the original goal.

On Monday, Australia Day, a group met at Tigger's place and we ran 14K. I was surprised at how well I had pulled up from Sunday's run. Back at Tigger's place we had a sumptuous barbecue breakfast complete with Mr Tigger's coffees.

I have been running a bit too slow for my liking and am hoping to improve on this over the next few weeks. I do feel as if my legs are getting stronger and am ready to start some speed work. It is now a matter of disciplining myself to do it.

3 comments:

Samurai Running said...

Hey Rob

It must be hard with that humidity!

I wonder if it is better to train in the heat/humidity and race in the cool/cold of Canberra, like you are going to do. Or train in the cold and race in the heat/humidity like I will be doing in Hawaii?

I guess we will find out.

All the best with your preparation.

Clairie said...

I personally believe if you train through summer heat/humidity you race well in the cooler months...so keep with it Eddie.

How fast are you running? what is your average min/km??

It was so bad on the weekend that I had to stop at the 24km mark and wring out my socks. They had half a cup of water in each of them..thats NEVER happened to me before. But it shows how humid / how much sweating I was doing.

It will be good for us in some way I am sure... but certainly makes me apprehensive about running my long run this weekend.

24km is good, so don't start panicking now!!

Ewen said...

Listen guys, I don't think it's going to be "cool/cold" by April.

Keep training in that heat Rob - it'll do you good. Tell Tigger to set off at 4:30 ks in the next long one, and just hang on.