11 June, 2006

Marathon Pace....but

20 Mile race at Brisbane Road Runners Club this morning. That's 32.2 K's. I had plans of getting there early and doing 5 K before the race but arrived a bit late and only mangaed 2.5K. Just plain slack, I know.


This is the last big hit out before the Gold Coast Marathon which is only three weeks away. I had plans of running about 4:50 pace today but once I was out on the road I found I was settling into a quicker pace so decided to see how I would go. I am hoping that I might manage a PB in the GCM this year and that means running at about 4:40 pace. I did manage this for the 32.2K's today, but I didn't feel as if I had another 10K in me at that pace. As a matter of fact I didn't feel I had ioK's at any pace. I have felt pretty drained all day after this morning's effort. How I handle my taper, diet etc. over the next three weeks will be very crucial to my being able to keep up the 4:40 pace for the whole 42.2K's.

It was good to share a race with Robert Song again and a big bonus today was a big hug from Clairie.

6 comments:

Horrie said...

That's a good run today Eddie. I wouldn't worry too much about finding that extra bit for the last 10km. It's amazing how much you can find when the excitement of the day kicks in. You are running well and I reckon you are primed for a huge run on July 2.

Hannah said...

I was going to come this morning, but I got told I was doing 32km of hills around Samford instead (!) nice flat west end sounds much more appealing really, but the scenery was great!

not long til the gold coast now! woohoo!

Tesso said...

Funny, just about every GC marathoner I've spoken to this weekend is feeling the same way as you. Lots seem to have had tough 'last long runs'.

I'm sure in a few weeks time you'll be feeling a million bucks. I can feel an Eddie PB coming on :-)

Robert Song said...

Nice article in the BRRC magazine.
It is incredible what you have achieved so far in such a short period of time. That same determination that has got you this far will get you over the line at the GC.

Clairie said...

Heh Eddie.....hope you deducted some time off for that hug!!

You looked strong out there and I know you have it in you to run at 4:40pace for the whole way. I hope that means I will be able to see you finish.

Like you said the focus now is on your diet and recovery. Wrap yourself in cotton wool and avoid any sick people.

Is your family going to be there at the finish?? Will be good to meet all of Eddie's family. Ooooh should we yell out 'go Eddie' or 'go Rob' ????????????? mmmm big dilema!

Toasty said...

I am excited about seeing your time at the GC, I'm looking forward to that PB cause I know you will do it.