03 July, 2006

Gold Coast Marathon

My 7th Marathon, the 3rd Gold Coast, but no PB this time. After a rare burst of confidence and a genuine belief that I was I the verge of a new PB I set off to the Gold coast at 4:30 on sunday morning in great anticipation.

There was a wonderful atmosphere and the start couldn't come quick enough. I headed for the start with Lizzle and was glad it felt much warmer being sheltered from the cold breeze in the crowd waiting for the gun. A tap on the shoulder had me turn and find Robert Song standing there. I was really pleased that he was able to make it. He has been so focused on this race and to face the possibility of being sidelined by injury must been very disheartening.

The gun went off an off we went. I was determined just to run my own race and not be influenced by pacers or other runners. I did weaken for a short while, when I was mesmerised by a gorgeous young lady in little red shorts but I couldn't keep up with her.

I reached the half a minute under my planned time of 1:38 and was still slightly under when I hit 32K. At that stage I started experinceing some pain in the groin which slowed me a bit. I did, however, manage to run through this but by the 35 or 36K marks I was really tiring. My legs were getting heavier and less responsive. By 39K it was becoming a real mental challenge to keep going. I was getting very slow and even walked a few pces now and again.

The finish shute at the Gold Coast is torture. It seems to go on forever. Is was good to be in it at last though, and make it to the finish line. This I did in 3:23.

My three Gold Coast marathons have been my toughest. So far the Coast has not been kind to me but I love being part of it. I can't imagine not being there.

Cheers from the CoolRunning Cheer Squad and from Tesso and other CR's like Little K and Iliketoast along the way gave me a big boost.

Hugs from Clairie and Tesso after the race made it all worthwhile.

When I rang Robyn after the race I asked her to pop down to the local Chemist and hire a wheelchair for me. She laughed and thought I was joking.

6 comments:

TD said...

Tremendous effort Eddie. Might not have been a PB but it was close to your Canberra time from what I remember. (If you didn't get a PB, serves you right for chasing a bit of red skirt at one point - I can just hear Pat Carroll now, who chastised me at one stage for losing my focus during a race for a similar offence!). Seriously, though, Rob, well done and another special run for you.

Toasty said...

Still a great run. Sit back and enjoy the huge accomplishment and then you can get ready for the next one.

Once again I really enjoyed seeing you out there and look forward to when our paths cross next.

Robert Song said...

I got the last wheelchair for hire. You will just have to walk it out ;-

Sorry I didn't catch up with you after the race.

I think we both now have something to aim at for our next one.

Tesso said...

Must be good to know you can have a tough race and still clock up a 3:23. I'm impressed!

How exciting to hear you've got Canberra on the calendar for next year. Woohoo!!!!! Though I reckon you'll be too quick for the limited stops 3:20 train and will be on the 3:15 express.

Recover well. See ya at BRRC soon.

Unknown said...

Fantastic race, Eddie! Talking of wheel chairs....I ended up in one after last year's GC marathon....very humiliating!

R2B said...

Wheelchair?
You really did do it tough!

R2B