20 July, 2009

Back at last!

I have to say that I enjoyed the GC. My 3:19:44 was a course PB which pleased me greatly. The day was absolutely perfect. I didn't mind running down to Burleigh and have less distance to north of the start/finish. I think it made the course a whole lot better. My pace slowed a bit in the last 10K but I had a real adrenalin rush in the very long finish chute an sprinted (relatively speaking) to the finish line. The race was fairly uneventful and I didn't have any real issues. It is amazing what experience can teach. Things which would have concerned me in my early marathons are now things I can think through, put into the perspective of the whole race, and deal with. I think now I can face future GC's with a much more positive attitude.

Last Sunday, with my friends, Darryl and Michelle (my OS travelling buddies), i ran the Railtrail Fun Run an 8.3K run which follows the path of the now dismantled rail line between Fernvale and Lowood which are two small towns in the Lockyer Valley west of Ipswich. They had a record crow of over 700. It was well organised and very enjoyable.

Yesterday I met Tigger at 5:00AM at Park Road and we set off through Herston and Bardon and then over My Coot-tha, and extremely hilly course. Tigger is training for the Glasshouse 100k in September. As we came round the Mt Coot-tha lookout, ready to set off downhill and home, Tigger decided that she would run the reverse course back around the mountain (big hill really) before heading home. I just said " see you back at Park Road.” It was a really good workout and just what I needed to prepare for the Park 2 Park Half in Ipswich next Sunday.

8 comments:

Robert Song said...

I am glad you have got that GCM hoodoo sorted out. You looked OK when I saw you out on the course.

Samurai Running said...

Interesting what you said about experience helping and I might think about coming to the Gold Coast now that they changed it to shorten the part up north. It seemed far too long to be running up there with little to look at and very few people. I didn't like that section of the race.

Glad you're back!

Ewen said...

I came here knowin'
There'd be a poem
But I can't see it here
Now I'm back to my beer!

---------------------

Yes, it's a good course now Scott. It's almost enough to tempt me out of my marathon retirement!

Tigger said...

Ewen have no fear
The time is here
Like Eddie, Tigger is back
And no, she wasn't being slack!

Having recovered from the fun
Of a slow Sunday run (or two)
Eddie and Tigger did the odd hill
This time it didn't make Eddie ill!

It was on the way back down
Tigger did turn aroun'
For a character run
In the "blazing" Qld sun!

Tigger returned to the start
As Eddie was descrbing his part
With another running legend
We are waiting for Eddie to send
Photos as proof!

Tigger said...

It was NOT a spoof
I've seen the proof!
Eddie is there with another legend
Discussing how they both bucked the trend
Going for a look with no hair
Knowing their fellow racers would despair
At these legends with fast feet
Looking dapper and neat!

Tigger said...

After a shocking week
Tigger was (almost) too stressed to speak
So she set off for the Ipswich run
Hoping it would produce a level of fun (?)

Whilst Tigger may be out of her tree
I was great to see
That Eddie was maintaining the legend look
Now we just have to wait for his book!

Describing how he sets a fast pace
In a VERY hilly race
It must be the look that is slick
That enables Eddie to go so quick!

He may not have time to train
But he clearly doesn't feel pain
Eddie still sets a mean time
Even if he claims he's not in his prime!

Next Sun will see another 1/2 start
We can be sure Eddie feels strong of heart
And do a blitzing run
In the Queenslland sun!

Ewen said...

With a shaved look
I think he'll be mistook
For Mona or Troopy
But he won't be droopy

Because he's growing straight
Due to so much rain of late
And I can't wait to see
If Rob's now taller than me!

Tigger said...

It comes as no surprise
To the challenge, Ewen did rise
Coming up with a nice little rhyme
Just in the nick of time