22 April, 2005

Friday 23/04/2005

Lucky Legs has asked me why I have quit Pat Carroll's Brisbane Running Group. Let me say firstly that I loved the running group and will miss training with my friends very much. It was good training with Pat because didn't just stand there on the sideline, he was always out there with us and always out in front.

I quit because the speed training seemed to be wearing me out. If you want to find out where weaknesses are in your lesgs and hips then try speed training. Though I had some initial improvement in running time, like my sub 20 minute 5K which I am still stoked about, my running seemed to gradually deteriorate. I am not blaming this wholly on speed training. I think what the training did was aggravate already existing underlying problems with my hips and lower back. These could possibly be remedied through a programme of physio and remedial massages. Such treatment is long and costly and quite frankly I do not have the time or the resources to commit to this. Though I love running I do have other committments and priorities and all things had to be considered and bought into perspective.

I am reverting to my previous training program which I enjoyed and which seemed to suit me quite well. This will consist of my 12K undulating circuit from home Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Each day run at different paces depending how I am feeling on the day. Sunday will be either Club Runs or long runs from Park Road with my friends . This is the training that got me through Gold Coast and Sydney marathons in 2004.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm sure, after reading this, Eddie, that you've made the right decision; to continually aggravate injury is to ask for more trouble; you don't need that! Enjoy the way you've set for yourself; no one else can tell you what is best...it's your body on the line...Look after iit! LL

Horrie said...

Congratulations on making such a tough decision Eddie. I know it must have been hard leaving Pat's group as you had a lot of friends there. But I believe it will turn out for the better. There are 2 methods of training for the marathon. One is speedwork to make your cruising pace quicker and the other is endurance runs done at tempo pace. You have shown in your 2 marathons you did last year that the latter works better for you. I know your body will appreciate the change. Good luck with the build up for Gold Coast. I am thinking that a PB is on the cards there.

Anonymous said...

After reading your blog I am now wondering if my Run Club speed sessions may have had something to do with my current lower back and hip problem????

Food for thought.

Good luck with your change of program.

WT

Superflake said...

Eddie good luck on your new focus in your training.
You can always use the experience gained from Pat's group to do your own speed work.
Have fun training for Gold Coast.