10 September, 2006

25K Among Friends

One of the best things about running is the friends you make. It was so good to turn up at West End this morning an be greeted by some of my running friends. Tesso, RITH, Robert Song, Beagle, Hannah, Glassman, Runner Bee, Ron Peters...all CoolRunners. Clairie was conspicuous by her absence. I believe she is in recovery mode after her big Glasshouse Run.

This morning's event was the Brisbane Road Runners 25K Championship. I was ready to put in a big effort and knew that 1st and 2nd in my category were out of the question as Ron Peters and James Keightly were there ready to put in bigger efforts. I went out a little too fast but settled back into a steady pace. We had to do 5 x 5K laps. By the 18K mark I was wishing it was over but had no doubt that I would keep on going to the end.

As I passed the start finish line at 20K I noticed James had called it a day. This really surprised me but gave me a boost as it meant I would be 2nd after Ron in my category. Ron Peters is a real running machine. Not only did come first in our category, he beat me by about 4k, and he was the outright winner after wresting the lead from a couple of young guys less than half his age.

I was pleased with my time of 1:52:52 and with my silver medal.

Rith cruised through his run which he did at his marathon pace in preparation for Melbourne in October. Tesso was happy with her effort and is well and truly back on track. Beagle was about a minute behind me for most of the race but in the last lap he passed me with about 1800 metres to go. I had expected him to pass me much earlier but I learnt from Robert Song that Beagle did 30K at Glasshouse last week. Robert Song ran the 10K today in 44 and was happy with that. Runner Bee was Race Director today and did a great job. Hannah, after her fantastic 50K Glasshouse run last week, realised at 5k into the 25 that she really hadn't recovered as well as she had thought and wisely pulled out of the race. Glassman, after his 100K last week, turned up today to lend his support. That's the sort of person Ian is.

It is impossible not to have friends when you are a Runner.

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Lovely post Eddie :-) It sure was a fantastic atmosphere out there this morn, albeit a little quieter than usual without our Clairie. But hey, you forgot Karisma. And Shane. Hmmm, think that was it for CRs.

What a great run by you, you sure didn't look like you wished it was over any time I saw you. I thought you might go out for a sixth lap.

Its tough having Ron in your category, but then again, coming second to him is sort of like coming first isn't it :-)

Robert Song said...

Eddie you are a true gentleman of the sport. It is no wonder you have so many friends.

Horrie said...

Great post Eddie. The sense of community and being surrounded by like minded people is the best thing about running. And to top it off, yet another great run by you. You really are Mr Consistency, aren't you?

Clairie said...

I hate reading your BRRC posts - they either make me realise how much I missed out on...or when I am there make me wish I had worked harder!! LOL

Good run Eddie. ps. my big boast at GH was running past Beagle in the last 2km. I felt bad but euphoric that I could do it...does that make me a bad person?

TD said...

Agree with Tesso and the others, Eddie. A beautiful post by you and you said it so well about the friendships that running brings. I have to say they are friendships like no other and I am still pondering the chemistry that makes this so.

Congrats too on your run, which was another very solid effort from you. Horrie's "Mr Consistency" said it perfectly.

Unknown said...

Big congratulations, Eddie! A silver medal....good for you! And what a great bunch of friends to have with you for the day.

Toasty said...

It's people like you Eddie that make all the difference and create such a friendly atmosphere.