10 June, 2007

Long Slow Run

After yesterday's freezing cold blustery weather I thought this morning might bring more of the same. Thankfully it was much better. No blustery wind and nowhere near as cold.

I missed my running buddy, Tegwen, this morning. She tripped during speed training and has well and truly busted her ankle. No Gold Coast Marathon for her this year.

I set out from Park Road at 5:00 AM with Bruce who is training for GC but is a tad slower than me. We stuck together for the first 19K by which time my legs were hurting like hell. I don't know what was causing the muscle soreness but I was doing it tough. I thought if I sped up a bit it might help, so I left Bruce and tried to lift the pace a bit. I only managed to drop the average pace from 5:47 to 5:37 per K. After 35K and 3hrs16mins on my legs I was sure glad to get back to Park Road.

GC is only three weeks away. I hope my legs come good in that time.

8 comments:

Horrie said...

Nothing too shabby about 3:16 for 35km Eddie. Sounds like you are moving along okay. I'm sure you will run well at Gold Coast if you just relax and enjoy the experience.

Superflake said...

Like Horrie said. 35k at 3:16 is a great training run. I'm sure you will be right for a good run down the coast.

IHateToast said...

i think you'll do fine. probably could even push me in a pram. i'll go onto eBay. think i should get an extra drink holder for you?

Toasty said...

If you can manage 3:16 you have plenty in the bank .... time to taper and recovery, it should be ok

Samurai Running said...

You will be alright Eddie I've often read about people doing it hard a few weeks out yet coming good and PBing.

As they say "It's always darkest before the dawn." Sorry to hear about your mate's ankle.

Ewen said...

That's plenty fast enough Eddie. Much faster than speedygeoff's long runs.

Tegwen has well and truly 'out-CJ'd' CJ. Very bad luck.

Tesso said...

Gee, such a shame for Tegwen. She ran the 50 so well in Canberra, I was sure she'd be PB-ing at the GC.

In my experience if I run slower than is natural I end up with sorer legs so maybe that was your problem with the long run.

Peterhorse said...

well, that's the last of those you need to do for GC mate...whew.

you've got the base to carry you through, now it's a bit shperening and tapering, which is the fun part.