04 June, 2007

Queensland Half Marathon

After having had a stomach ailment all week, I didn't have any great expectations for the half Marathon at Doomben on Sunday. I was still feeling off on Saturday and wondered if I would have enough stemina to get through the race on Sunday. Amazingly I felt a lot better Sunday morning and was glad to be there at the start. SpeedyGeoff and I sized each other up, played down our own expectations...you know the usual stuff. Neither of us felt like we were at our best.

Nevertheless, I gave it all I had. My average pace gradually slowed through the whole race and I finished with an averge of 4:27 per K and a time of 1:34:16. Not that bad cosidering the week I had had. I did pass Geoff along the way. I think the humidity, and it was humid, may have been giving him a bit of trouble.

I wasn't able to stay for the presentations and didn't find out until this morning that I came third in my category (M55-59). That put a smile on my face.

9 comments:

Samurai Running said...

A third place is great, congratulations. "Fast Eddie" and "Speedy Geoff" at the same event. It doesn't get better than that.

Robert Song said...

You may have only come third in your category but there is no one better than you at playing down your expectations.

Good run under the circumstances.

Tesso said...

Congrats on the podium finish Eddie!

Lucky you didn't hang around, after that stomach ailment a punch in the belly from one of your co-bloggers may have been disasterous.

Ewen said...

Nothing wrong with bronze Eddie!

I would have liked to have seen speedygeoff's face when you cruised on past. He certainly had a bad day at the office. I think some niggling injuries are to blame.

Peterhorse said...

Podium finish..woohoo!
Back to 10 days ago when you were tlaking about feeling flat and unmotivated, i just noticed the heading in your blog "I love running". Can't change that hey. Well done mate.

Clairie said...

Well Done Eddie. Can't believe you were running that fast and still had time to high five and cheer all us slowies on.

You're a gold winner in my books.

Horrie said...

I know it wasn't one of your quicker performances. But another gutsy one and a well deserved age group placing. Well done Eddie.

Unknown said...

Fabulous! Congratulations & hugs on your 3rd place...what a thrill! I'm so pleased for you, Eddie!

IHateToast said...

catching up...

i think you can't complain for that time after that week! if it wouldn't get squished, i'd have mailed you a cupcake!