13 August, 2007

C2S

Whow! What an experience that was! 65,000 people! I am glad we were all heading in the same direction.

What a great weekend I had. I flew down with friends on Friday, booked into the Medina on Crown and headed out for some lunch. Our weekend was organised by Di and Phil Hungerford from the RunInn. There were about 25 of us altogether. Friday night was dinner at Betty's Soup Kitchen, Saturday morning was a run round the Opera House etc., then breakfast. We then hopped aboard the hired mini-bus and did a tour of the C2S course. That was really beneficial. Saturday we did a Rocks Pub Tour with dinner at the Lord Nelson.

Sunday morning I headed to the start line with a couple of other guys. I got the to start line of the Blue group (third Wave) just as they were stretching the rope across the road. So I plonked down on the road at the rope with about four others and there I sat while the hordes arrived.
They allowed a bit of a gap between waves so when I took off the way was fairly clear until the tunnel. Even then I was surprised that I was able to keep running steadily, with lots of ducking and weaving, all the way. Having driven over the course, I knew when I had reached Heartbreak Hill and was able to work my way up quite well. My Garmin also helped, in that I was able to keep in mind how far I still had to go and pace myself accordingly. As I came into Bondi I was feeling really good and put in a bit of an effort, with the help of the CR Cheer Squad, to use up my reserves. I was very happy to to cross the line in just over 66 minutes.

It was terrific to catch up with Tesso, the temporary (I hope) Sydneysider. Then another pleasant surprise when Ewen came along a little later. I wasn't able to leave my group and go a wandering to find the rest of the CR crew. I may have been left behind.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

I think it would have tarnished my C2S experience if I hadn't have seen you Eddie :-)

Congrats on a great run. And how much fun is the event!!!!

Going back next year?


Signed
Temporary Tesso

Horrie said...

Glad to see that you enjoyed your C2S experience Eddie. It really is an amazing race. Come back next year and start from the red group and you will knock a couple of minutes off that time.

Ewen said...

I spotted your CR cap Eddie. It was good to catch up with you, Rob and the others.

Looks like you had a great weekend. Next year you'll be in the A1 start. Now, that's fun. As long as you're not lined up behind Borat.

It's had to find many people at the finish - I didn't want to lose my Canberra bus group.

Samurai Running said...

Sounds like a fantastic weekend Eddie. I would love to do that race at least once and seeing as I`m "just a youngster" I should have time to fit it in.

By the way what do you think that "10th marathon" will be?

IHateToast said...

When do we get to see you in your Borat suit? Or was that Ewen?