05 August, 2007

A Rare Pleasure

Since being too slack to brave the cold and dark on my own in the mornings, I have been doing some runs in my lunch break. I run from the City Gardens and follow various routes around the City reaches of the Brisbane River. On Friday I was heading along Edward Street to start my run when who should I bump into but Langy (RITH). He was in his civvies but asked if I would mind waiting for him to change. So it was a rare pleasure for me to be able to have a run with Langy. We did almost 9K through South Bank, Kangaroo Point, Story Bridge etc. Langy is just recovering from illness, so I was able to keep up with him. We hope to be able to connect for some runs more often.

I ran from Park Road this morning and had to run most of it on my own. I did bump into my running buddy Tegwen who was walking with another victim of injury, our mate Geoff. Tegwen is on the mend and is able to run short distances. I did 17.6k this morning, average 5 min pace. Next weekend I will be in Sydney for the C2S. It's my first one and I didn't apply for a preferred start so will be leaving in the third wave. Of course I don't actually expect to be able to run much for the first 5K, so I am told.

Noosa Half is the next weekend. Once again I haven't put the effort into training so can't expect wondrous things. I love the event though so it will be good just be a part of it.

Here are some photos of the progress on the Cubby. They include my grandson, Jordan and dog, Casper.




9 comments:

Toasty said...

that's one mighty fine looking cubby ... i'll be looking out for you at noosa and good luck with the city 2 surf

Ewen said...

Looks like you're pretty handy with a spirit level Eddie - nice job.

I ran at lunch time today and it was still bloody cold! Hope to see you next Sunday. Luckily I'm in the A1 start.

Try and get as close as you can to the front, and look for some space out wide. You'll be passing people all the way, so you'll be less impeeded running wide around the corners rather than taking the normal line.

Horrie said...

You are a great handyman Eddie. That's a good looking cubbyhouse. While you are in Sydney for C2S, would you have time to knock one up in my backyard? See you at Bondi next week. Look for the Striders banner after you finish. That is where a lot of Cool Runners congregate.

TD said...

Why weren't you around about 40 years ago and building one of those things for me? What a fantastic cubby.

That's some good advice from Ewen for C2S. You will be dealing with a lot of walkers I think too. Take Ewen's advice, try to stay patient (I know you will), and work on getting into clear air as soon as you can and as safely as you can. Enjoy the atmosphere of the day, the community spirit, the bands, those dressed up and the weight of humanity on show. It's an absolute buzz of a day.

Looking forward to your C2S report and hopefully see you in Noosa.

Tesso said...

Hey Eddie! I've been running later than usual also, though rather than thinking I am being too slack to get out in the cold I like to refer to it as Kurrawa training :-)

Can't wait to catch up at C2S.

Unknown said...

That's a fantastic, cubby, Eddie! You could rent it out as a weekender! Watch out for me as I pass you on Sunday! Good to know you'll be there.

plu said...

Hi Eddie,

That is a really good comment on my blog thanks for that. Within the bounds of being sensible it is the right thing to do and I think the area is as good as any other I could live in. The world is such big place as long as you have. I can see you now in the abck yard with the grandkids and the treehouse. I see what you mean.

Plu

Peterhorse said...

look like my renovation, well, probably a few less zeros on teh budget, but same progress ;-)

\good luck this weekend!

IHateToast said...

that cubby house is swank! when do you invite us all over for an open cubby party?