10 February, 2008

9 Weeks Out

The K's were a bit low this week. I missed a 12K run on Tuesday because it was pelting rain. Yes I know, I'm a sook. So it was 12K on Wednesday in 1:01, 12K Thursday in 1:02 and 12K Friday in 0:59. I just seemed to be getting slower.

I spent a big day in the yard on Saturday and on Saturday night was totally stuffed and to top it off, didn't sleep well. This morning the alarm went off at 4:05 and I just didn't feel up to a long run. However, that's the good thing about running with others, you arrange to meet and you just have to be there. So at 5:00AM I met Tegwen and Cathy at Park Road. The run this morning was 28K. After the tough 34K last Sunday we opted for a flat out and back along the river to Newstead. We finished with 28.3 in 2:18. That is an average pace of 4:53. Cathy had turned back at 13K and Tegwen and I turned up the pace on the way back. I was feeling really good and able to sustain a steady pace all the way. I was very pleased with the morning's effort. The running conditions were idyllic and there were lots of runners and cyclists out today.

It just leaves me wondering why I can run at 4:53 for the long run and yet find it so difficult to get under 5:00 min K's for my 12 K runs during the week. But then, maybe the reason I can run better on the Long Runs is because I don't push myself too hard during the week. At this point I have done no speed nor hill work.

A total of 64K this week. I had better try and get a few more in next week. Only 9 weeks left.

10 comments:

Toasty said...

I wouldn't worry to much about the times. It is easier to run quicker with others without really noticing it.

speedygeoff said...

You will bounce back. I just know it.

Superflake said...

4:53 pace is very good for a long run. Looks good for Canberra Rob.

Clairie said...

Sub 5min for 28km 9 weeks out from Canberra.....me thinks you will do wonderful !!

Good practice to run your long runs steady with a ramp up towards the end like you did (when Cathy left to turn around).

Canberra is going to be another exciting year for you Eddie!

Ewen said...

Flake is right - 4:53s is good. You'll take another 23 secs per km off that in Canberra, so about 3:10 - no pressure ;)

speedygeoff said...

Ewen is so funny - he knows my primary target is 3:09.54. And he guesses - correctly as it turns out - that finishing ahead of you is my secondary target. This despite the fact that I have not told and will not tell anybody. (Shh, it's a secret). No pressure indeed!

Tesso said...

Gee, by the sound of Speedygeoff's reply there could be some argy-bargy at the finish line!

Nice long run Rob. So Tegwen hasn't tried to talk you into joining her in the 50k?

Samurai Running said...

Mmmm 9 weeks you say. I gotta get me one of those new fangled calculaty thingys!

Ewen said...

If you want to use some argy-bargy in the finish chute to beat Spody, you might have to run 4:29s (3:09:10). He's always been conservative when it comes to setting goals.

Unknown said...

4:53 pace for a long run! Eddie, I'd kill to get anywhere near that pace anytime...fantastic so near to Canberra!