25 February, 2008

7 Weeks Out

What a week it was! I was very tired. I did 12K on both Tuesday and Wednesday. All day Wednesday I was struggling against tiredness at work. On Thursday when I woke to the alarm I didn't feel to brilliant and thought that I couldn't spend another day feeling as I had on Wednesday, so gave the run a miss. I set the alarm a little earlier for Friday morning and did 16K at 5:05 pace.

A heat wave hit us on Saturday. The temperature soared to about 44 degrees C in Ipswich, which is just west of Brisbane. I manaed to achieve a few things outside but had to keep retreating to the Air conditioned indoors. My running buddy, Tegwen, rang me to ask if I had thought of a shaded course for our planned 34k on Sunday. Hmmm! no such thing exists.

Fortunately the temperature dropped considerably late in the afternoon and remained fairly pleasant overnight. So Sunday morning was all go for 34K. Out and back from Park Road to a bit past Brett's Wharf. We managed to average 5:00 K's with no stops at taps on the way back. We just used our water bottles.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

44! We're getting low 20s down here - coolish overnight too, so let's hope it keeps heading in that direction for the marathon.

Keep up the good work Rob. Tell Tegwen if she wants a shaded course, to start at 3am.

Clairie said...

Fantastic effort for Sunday. Its good to practise drinking on the run too. I think you are doing brilliantly Eddie and can't wait to see all the benefits of such consistent training.

Eagle said...

Keep up the training. I expect to see you at Canberra and perhaps I will also be on the start line.

Robert Song said...

Yes it was a relief that it was not so hot on Sunday morning. I started at 4:45 am just in case and it was still dark .

Tesso said...

Whew, you had water bottles. When you said no stops for water on the way back I thought you must've morphed into a camel.

Toasty said...

That's 4 good runs for the week, well done