26 May, 2008

Gold Coast - 6 Weeks Out

Only 6 Weeks until the Gold Coast Marathon. Where has the time gone. I haven't put in the effort that I did for Canberra. Last year was the same story and I ran my my slowest Marathon at the Gold Coast in 2007. I am feeling a little more confident about the Gold Coast this year. Though my mid-week training hasn't been up to scratch, my Sunday long runs give me a degree of comfort.

Yesterday, Sunday 26th, Tegwen, my running buddy, was again not able to join us due to illness. When I arrived at Park Road at 5:00AM, it was just Craig waiting for me. Ben was a no show due a back injury. Craig, who was training for his first Half, is now training for his first marathon. He upgraded his Gold Coast entry. Craig was keen to run 3 Hours so we decided to run to the Goodwill Bridge, onto to Highgate Hill, the Corso, Yeronga, Tennyson, Chelmer, Indooroopilly and UQ. At UQ we did a loop around the Uni to ensure that we would hit the three hour mark by the time we arrived back at Park Road. This was the first time Craig had ever run this length of time or distance. He didn't shy away from the extra loop at the Uni and finished still looking strong. We covered 33.5K at an average pace of 5:18. It was a solid and satisfying long run.

Next Sunday Ben, Craig and I are doing the Doomben Half.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Nice work Rob. Craig is lucky to have such an experienced mentor as you to train with for his first marathon. How proud are you going to be of him in July!

Samurai Running said...

Yes, Eddie I7m also taking your advice and making sure that I'm getting in those long runs on a regular basis.

It should hold your fitness. I wouldn't read too much into last year's "poor" result at the gold coast. You may of just be having a bad day or it could have been anyone of many things unrelated to how you are today. So just get to the line this year in good condition and anything is possible.

Craig OD. said...

Cheers Eddie.
Many thanks again for getting me home on Sunday.
See you at Doomben.

Ewen said...

I reckon you'll do well Rob - all your long runs have been solid. I'm still backing you to finish ahead of Robert Song :)

Best wishes to Tegwen for a speedy recovery.

Unknown said...

Only 5 weeks now, Eddie!