07 July, 2008

Post GC Marathon

Well I did it! I went much better than I expected with a 3:21 finish. I had a lot of pain in my right foot for most of the race, which took a lot of concentration to manage. that took away some of the pleasure of the run. However, I managed to keep a fairly steady pace and averaged 4:45. After I reached 35K I was feeling fairly good and was able to relax a bit and run with with a degree of confidence that I wasn't going to blow up. I was very pleased with the result.

Tigger did a mighty fine job in getting her brood in under 2:20. Well done Tigger!

Craig had a horror marathon and started cramping after 20K. This combined with stomach problems caused him a lot of grief but he soldiered on and finished. Congratulations Craig!. Don't give up mate. The next one will be great.

Congratulations to Robert Song! 3:12! Fantastic!

Great 10K Ewen! Congratulations. Thanks for the encouragement from the sideline.

Thanks for your encouragement and company out there Toasty. You did a great time considering your recent injury history. Congratulations.

Plu and the CR cheer squad were in fine form. Thanks so much. It sure makes such a difference.

Thanks to everyone for your support and encouragement.

11 comments:

Samurai Running said...

That time is great Eddie as you didn't have such a good build up and with the foot problems on the day. You should be well pleased with that! 3 years ago, at 40 year old, did 3:24 on the same course and thought it was a good run. Congratulations!! I bet that after the pain has worn off a bit you'll be keen to have a go at a marathon PB with a race like that under your belt.

Have a good recovery! Oh and thanks for the speedy update I was hanging out to find out how you all went.

You know yesterday I was in a bad mood all day, first time I've felt like that in a long time, I reckon it was because I was here and you were all there where I wanted to be. Well maybe next year.

Again well done and congratulations.

Superflake said...

Congratulations on the race Rob. Great time with your limited race preparation.

Tesso said...

Huuuuge congrats Rob. What a great result. I think you have shaken your GC hoodoo :)

COD said...

Congratulations Eddie, I now understand what an amazing effort it is in acheiving these times that you do.

I had a shocker first up but glad that I dragged myself home. Keen to get back on the horse for the next one so see you soon.

Thanks for your support and encouragement leading up to GCM.

Craig OD.

Toasty said...

I just love having you out there, I feel that seeing you is an important part of my own marathon.

Great run and strong second half. I felt like I really hammered home from 35K and see you were quicker.

Awesome....

Lets do it again!

Clairie said...

Well done on a great run Eddie. I am sorry I wasn't there to be part of the big day this year (damn flu) but will be looking forward to seeing you out on the road in the coming months as you gear up for your next one.

Rest up now....btw what is the next one?

Anonymous said...

congrats. glad you weren't made dizzy by some funky tights. hey, who knows, maybe you need to wear some all-in-one harlequin piece for melbourne. no?

okay, i tried.

great time, RotR.

Robert Song said...

Glad you were happy with your run Rob. Thanks for your kind words.

I think I look more like a flamingo rather than an ibis.

I was going to catch up with you at the surf club but I looked around and you were gone.

Maybe we can do a run together sometime. I guess you will have to get back into so you can do justice to Chicago and New York. I am sure you are going to love those races.

Eric / Elvis !?! said...

Well done it sounds like you had a great time dispite the foot.
Next race ?

plu said...

Hi Rob (gee I still think Eddie),

It was good to see you on the course but much better to catch up at the club. Thanks for the caht and good luck with the rest of the years's running.

cheers Plu

Ewen said...

You gave Plu a cat?

Rob, that was a fine effort, especially with the foot problem and a preparation that you yourself said was a little on the light side.

There are many runners much younger than yourself who'd be overjoyed with a 3:21. Congrats on the course PB, and all the best with the prep for Chicago and New York.

Sorry I missed you afterwards - and Tigger - I really didn't think she could run that slowly. A great achievement that I'm sure was appreciated by her brood.

Enjoy Perth, and seeing Lily Rose for the first time!