22 March, 2009

Galeforce Pain

Out of desperation to stop the rot that had seemed to be setting in in my running, I decided it was time to commit myself to something which involved me with other other runners. Doing things on my own sure wasn't working. Having met Chris Gale of Galeforce Runners on several occasions and knowing he ran coaching groups, I discovered that he has a speed session in Ipswich on Wednesday mornings. Unfortunately I am not a person who finds it easy to alter my routine, I have to give the change careful consideration before committing myself. I normally catch the 6:52 train and am at my desk by 8:45. Attending a 5:30AM speed session at Limestone Park in Central  Ipswich means that I don't get back home until 7:00AM when I still need to shave, shower, dress and have breakfast in order to catch the 7:40 train to get to my desk by 8:30.  After convincing myself that such a change wasn't life threatening and that I surely would survive, I attended a session last Wednesday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It felt really good to have put in a big effort and done some hard work. I am sure that I can make this session part of my routine.

There has been a price to pay, however. My quads have been very sore. My run on Thursday was pathetic. Nevertheless the speed session was a very positive experience and it has done me a world of good. I don't expect it to have any significant impact on my Canberra run. The greatest benefit will be, I think, the improvement in my attitude.

This morning I did 25k from Park Road with Tigger. We averaged 5:10 per K. I really enjoyed the run. The conditions were perfect.

9 comments:

Superflake said...

Speedwork will set you free eventually. Takes about 6 weeks to have an effect from scratch of how fast you run.

Tigger said...

Having had 2hrs sleep
Out the door she did creep
Agreeing to a 5am start
Really wasn't that smart.

Eddie set off at a canter
Trying to escape Tigger's banter
Repeating stories from the previous night
That related to a previous life.

Tigger still has bad feet
But Eddie didn't have heat
So he cracked the whip
Knowing Tigger wanted to slip

Back to a slower pace
Not that of a marathon race
Without the blazing sun
At least, Eddie had fun!

Eagle said...

Interesting change. How far from home to Ipwich.

Ewen said...

Tigger's tells lies
She always flies
Rob's new speed
Will make him exceed
All expectation
In the capital of the nation

That last line was too long
But I'm no poet
And don't I know it.

Rob said...

Eagle, 20 Mins there and 30 mins back due to the traffic build-up.

Unknown said...

I'm not going to even try to rival those poetic attampts, Rob, but you did well to make a change rather than go sale. The poor old quads (not old as in age!) will pay dividends by the time the marathon comes around.

Unknown said...

I meant 'stale' not 'sale'!! Time I made a change, me thinks!

Toasty said...

Tigger, Eddie, who we kid,
Think your times might have slid,
Re-evaluate and mix it up.
Chris will help you suck it up,
Toe the line come Canberra.
Not much rhymes with Canberra

Tigger said...

Whilst Tigger has a bug
Eddie is feeling smug!
Having completed another speed session,
That will leave his friends guessin'
As to Eddie's pace
In his next marathon race!