15 March, 2009

Yahoo 38!

Last Sunday Tigger and I set out for 34K run, 17 out and back. We did the 17k out but on the way back realised we would be running smack bang into the International Women's Day run. Almost 7,000 women is more than even I can manage at one time. So we took a shortcut home. Actually it only became a shortcut because my left leg ceased up. I don't know what caused it. We finished back at Park Road with 32K at an average pace of 5:14. I was happy with that.

I had a pretty crappy week after that and only did 2 x14K circuits.

This morning I met Tigger again at Park Road. We had discussed heading out out along the Western Freeway to Seventeen Mile Rocks but as we set out Tigger hatched a new plan. We turned of the bike path at Indoorooplilly and headed to UQ, across the Green bridge, through West End to Southbank. Tigger has been having trouble with her Achilles tendon and it was getting painful so she cut back to Park Road via the Victoria Bridge. I continued on to Kangaroo Point and Dockside and over the Story Bridge and back to Park Road. I completed 38K at an average pace of 5:26. I felt pretty awful but very happy to have completed 38K.

With an average pace of 5:26 for 38 at this point in my training for Canberra I am on track to run my slowest Canberra so far. This will be my 5th Canberra. My slowest being 5:27 in 2006. As I have said in a previous post, I really want to enjoy the run without dieing too badly over the last 5 or 7K.

You may be wondering what happened to the Yasso 800s. I simply haven't had the motivation to head back to the running track to do more. It's a great idea but I have to be feeling bit better and more motivated.

7 comments:

Samurai Running said...

That race seems to bring out the best in you so you'll again surprise everyone, even I bet yourself.

I hope I don't feel crappy on Mara day like I did at the end of most of my long runs in training. We both should count on it all coming good on the day ;)

Toasty said...

You never know what will happen on the day. Just keep putting in the long runs, they are the ones that count at the end.

Superflake said...

Keep at it Rob. The training will get easier before the race. You'll run faster at Canberra when the race atmosphere kicks in and you get to run without humidity again.

Tigger said...

Now as you all know
Eddie does like to go
For a long distance run
In the blazing Qld sun.

Although it's now dark
We stuck to the 5am start
Eddie determined for a long run
Regardless of the level of fun.

Having established a plan
Eddie the man
Agreed to minor adjustment
If it reduced the time on cement.

So we took a left turn
Extra shade, less sunburn.
The route went past a place
Eddie's son-in law (to be) did grace.

Then on we did travel
Though the plan was about to unravel.
Eddie doesn't like heat
Tigger has bad feet!

"If the run's no longer nice",
Then follow the dr's advice!
There is nothing to gain
From ignoring the pain!

The mind was strong
But the foot was gone
So despite feeling slack
Tigger headed back.

Eddie went off at a pace
Preparing for the April race
He must have been feeling strong
For he was gone long!

It was fast coming to the point
Where Tigger would ignore the bad joint
And start running back
Hoping Eddie was just being slack!

But have no fear
For Eddie did appear
Having done a 38km run
In the blazing Qld sun!

Eagle said...

Good to get a 38ker done no matter how you feel. I would have thought yu should go under 4 hours. Maybe not your quickest but not your slowest either.

Ewen said...

I hope your Canberra marathon
Takes less time than Tigger's poem
Don't be out too long or I fear
I won't get to buy you a beer

Tigger said...

Ewen

I hope that having read the poem, Eddie looked better than he did on Sun. If not, I'll have to work on another one ...