10 May, 2009

Kathrine Switzer

The Calf is improving. I took it easy during the week and Tigger and I ran only 20K this morning. I am sure I will be able to increase the mileage this week.

At the Niagara Falls International Marathon last October I spent some time at the marathon Expo. Kathrine Switzer was there promoting her book, Marathon Woman. I have to admit that I didn't know a lot about Kathrine. I was vaguely aware of her 1967 Boston Marathon run-in with officials, but I was not aware of the tremendous amount she has done over the years for running and in particular for women marathon runners.

I saw her book and bought it as a gift for Tigger. Katherine even wrote in it for her. Tigger loved the book and lent it to me to read. I loved every page. Kathrine is a great lady. The running world owes her a great deal. Since reading the book this photo has come to mean so much more.




4 comments:

Ewen said...

I'm surprised Tigger bothered getting out of bed for a 20k run ;)

Nice photo. She's certainly a legend when it comes to marathon running.

Tigger said...

Ewen

Please note that (a) Rob, as usual, set the pace yesterday, (b) Was kind enough not to make too many jokes about running in the dark, and (c) included the photo with Kathrine to make me feel extra slow! (By the way, I think every runner, male and female, should read the book. It's brilliant).

Assuming I finish the mad run this weekend, he better have some chocolate waiting for me! Even if it will make me fatter. How else will I be able to recover in time for another time trial the following weekend?

Rob said...

tigger has decided to do the 80K at Glasshouse on Sunday! It starts at 3:00Am and has a 10HR cut-off...if they can find you.

Robert Song said...

I haven't had a chance to be racing against you for ages.
When are we going to see you at a local event or is it just all international big city or interstate race for you at the moment ;-)