23 August, 2009

Brisbane Marathon

What a day! Winter is not officially over yet and today during the marathon we had to endure temperatures around the 30C mark. A bit of a shock to the system. However that was only secondary to the problem which slowed me the most. From about the 15K mark I started suffering excruciating pain in my right foot. I feel as though a nerve is being pinched and runs in a line form the tip of my second toe back through the middle of my foot. It is an incredible pain and very hard to manage while running. I eventually finished the run in 3:42 and was extremely relieved.

I thought the course was pretty terrible. Especially the second lap where we had to back track under the Story Bridge. That almost did my head in. The marathon recovery area a the finish was the best I have experienced in my, now, 17 marathons. They had people waiting on us hand an foot, treating us like kings.

Thanks for the encouragement along the way Robert Song. It was really appreciated.

I think the sudden high temperatures really took there toll today. There seemed to be a few causalities. Tigger stopped to render assistance to one young fellow who looked quite dreadful when I passed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done, Rob! The heat must have been bad enough but to have such foot pain makes me wonder how you finished! Any diagnosis yet?

Stay well & rest well!

Tigger said...

Having offered to pace
I had to front at the Bris marathon race
The legs were feeling like lead
Ewen, there's nothing to be said!

Challenge #1 finding the flag
Then a place for my bag
Then my partner in crime
Who arrived in the nick of time!

Making our way to the start
We saw Eddie who was looking smart
And obviously up for a long run
Despite the sun!

We weren't even half way there
When a young lad in despair
Did pass out and fall
Time for a 000 call!

Whilst assisting this young man
I saw the leader with the plan
Go flying by
As I was left to ans why
The young man was white
It sure wasn't a pretty sight!

Eventually off I did go
Just as well Alun was running slow
I wasn't feeling in my prime
And had to make up a lot of time.

With all the turns and bends
I was sure to see Eddie before the end
He was going along the road
Despite the absence of the Tigger load
He sure wasn't carving it up
And looked a tad stuffed.

We all carried on through the heat
Eddie with sore feet
Continued to run
But didn't look to be having fun.

As we passed Eddie who was heading back
I came to a stop in my track
Eddie did not look well
And didn't say he was feeling swell!!

But we all know Eddie is a man of grace
And despite his slowing pace
He completed another marathon run
In the blazing Qld sun.

As for the 4hr band
Most could barely stand
Having finally reached the finish line
Well under the allotted time.

Samurai Running said...

Ouch! Sounds bad Rob. Well done for finishing that one off. I guess it is races like that, that make the good ones even better.

Rest up that foot and back into it.

Ewen said...

Now I have a cure for Eddie's woes
Gumboots have been pinching toes
You only need them 364 days a year
On the rare sunny days, drink beer!
Don't be foolish, a marathon run
On the one day there's a blazing sun
Watch from the side like Robert Song
Canberrans only stay cool & run long.

Tigger said...

Footnote: I am pleased to report that the lad I offered assistance to is doing well. No suggestion of throwing in the towel and taking up lawn bowls!