07 August, 2006

Bridge 2 Brisbane

I was determined not to repeat the mistakes of last year...running late forgetting chip etc. This year I was in the carpark at 5:00AM and on the first shuttle bus to the start line. This year the chips were the good old shoelace type, so was able to thread it in on Saturday night...no chance of forgetting it. I think I would know if I wasn't wearing my shoes when I left home.

The morning was no where near as cold as previous years. What a blessing. I was one of the first at the start line. While I was standing there waiting and chatting, Clairie and Tesso came up behind me an yelled a greeting. I got such a fright I neally took off up the bridge even before the Wheelies started.

I killed myself running up the bridge and was very glad to get to the top. The run down the other side is great. The rest of the course is quite flat. I was feeling a bit tense in the middle section of the race and seemed to be suffering a fair bit of pain in my gut. However, I knew that if I kept going it would ease and I would be able to relax. I was right, and was able to enjoy the last 4 K's to finish in 51:30 (av 4:18per K).

It was good to catch up with Robert Song and Peterhorse plus Clairie and Tesso after the race. All seemed pleased with their efforts including Mr Clairie and Master Clairie who both finished in 58mins - well done.

I hope Robert Song isn't paying for running hard with a sore leg.

6 comments:

Tesso said...

As always it was great to catch up again Eddie. Thanks for providing us with some pre-race laughs.

That's a pretty decent time you ran there, gotta be happy with that. Looking good for Noosa.

TD said...

I'd go one better than Tesso and say that was a fantastic time you ran, Eddie. Is that some post-GCM benefits paying off here? Or maybe it was just the fright you got from Clairie and Tesso (....now there's an idea I might work on for next year's Canberra Marathon!)

Toasty said...

That's about where I thought a great time would be for you. Well done!

Clairie said...

Thats a great time Eddie and is now my goal for next year.

Was great to be out there running with you again - feels like ages. Hopefully will see you down at BRRC before too long.

Ewen said...

Yeah, Don is right Eddie - a great run.

Sounds like an easy course... up a bridge, down the other side then flat. :)

Robert Song said...

Good to see you again the other day.

I often wonder if you are doing any training as your blog entries have been a little sparse of late. But you turn up for the races and always put in such a good effort, so I guess the training is going pretty well!!

Hopefully I can put my niggles behind me soon and get back on track and give you some serious competition.