17 September, 2007

A Perfect Sunday

Well that will teach me not to read CR for a while. I drove to from Ipswich to Toowoomba on Sunday morning, arriving at the Hilly Half start at 6:15 to find one runner, Greg, there just in case some poor bunny didn't get the message that the race had been cancelled.

Greg offered me a bottle of wine for my trouble. After accepting the wine and preparing to return home, Greg informed me that some of the Toowoomba Road Runners were meeting at 7:00 and running the course just as their Sunday long run. I said that will do me and set off in a group of about 12. We took it fairly easy at the start then a small group started pulling away so I thought I might as well put in a bit of an effort and set off with them.

It was a pretty tough course which took me 1:46 to complete. As I was running I was wondering how I would be going if it was a race. Not very much better I think.

So the morning wasn't a write off. I go to run the Hilly Half, which I hadn't done before, I met some very friendly runners, got a bottle wine and I didn't have to pay $30 entry fee. The weather was perfect. A good morning by all accounts.

Many thanks to Greg, Joe, Trevor, Glen, Denis, Roger, Robert and the other Toowoomba runners for their friendly hospitality and a good run.

I drove home, stopping at Maca's near Gatton on the way for a Delux Brekie Roll. I arrived home at about 11:00AM and spent the rest of the day working on the cubby. I slept well last night. I was stuffed.

6 comments:

Tesso said...

What a scoop! Think I'll not read CR more often.

Superflake said...

Forgot to tell you Rob. The half was cancelled. Too late. At least you had a good(fast) long run with some different runners this week.

Ewen said...

Sounds like the perfect half marathon Rob! Much better $ per km value than the City to Surf. 1:46 is bloody good for a training run on a hilly course!

Peterhorse said...

i think you had a 1:45 in you mate :-)

nice day - might see you at Twba mara if you're going up? it's on, i promise!

Toasty said...

sounds to me it all worked anyway, good one

Samurai Running said...

I often have dreams, true, that I show up for races and nobody else is there, and/or I'm running among the top 5 and suddenly I lose sight of the runners in front of me and come to a four way intersection!!

But after reading of such a nice ending to your story I might now be a bit more relaxed about missing a race.

Thanks mate and upload some phots of the cubby when its all finished.