09 March, 2008

5 Weeks Out

I am privileged to have had one of those rare, for me at least, weeks where I couldn't set a running foot wrong. I ran 14K each day, Tuesday to Friday and today set out on a programmed 34K run and ended up with 36.2 due to a slight underestimation of the course.

I received a text message from Tegwen yesterday notifying me that she had run 35 + K's in 2:47. The challenge was set. I started from Park Road just before 5AM and headed to the Qld Uni then onto Indooroopilly. On the way I passed two running ladies who asked me what I was training for. Canberra Marathon I said. So are we they said. Where are you staying they asked. At the Telopea Inn I replied. So are we they said. Sharron and Kathy I think they said are their names...triathletes. They may be friends of Lew Williams.

Anyway, I was managing to keep my average pace under 5:00 and was pleased with that. I went onto Chelmer, Yeronga, Brisbane Corso, Highgate Hill, Kangaroo Point, Dockside, Story Bridge, City Gardens...This is where I got caught at the end of the Goodwill Bridge by thousands of runners (the distracting girlies Tesso warned me about) taking part in the Women's International Day fun run. the only way I could cross their path was to run with them and sidle across to the other side and out. While I was trying to figure a way out of my dilemma, I did get a hello from one of my favourite "Girlies" ..Tesso herself.

As distracted as I was I set off again to cover the last 3.5K back to Park Road.

Why was this a special week? Because I was happy with the stats:

Tue 14K 1:12:38, Av Pace 5:11, best 1K 4:51
Wed 14K 1:06:04, Av Pace 4:43, best 1K 4:11
Thu 14K 1:07:08, Av Pace 4:48, best 1K 4:07
Fri 14K 1:07:28, Av Pace 4:49, best 1K 4:14
Sun 36.2K 2:55:00, Av Pace 4:50, best 1K 4:04

Total 92.2K for the week.

10 comments:

IHateToast said...

when i saw you, you were grinning. suffering you weren't. or did you just stop by Radar's Mangirls at the water station. if you didn't see them, you missed some fine looking (if a bit hairy) pins.

Tesso said...

I didn't realise you were in the middle of your long run ... or close to the end of it. You looked so fresh. Maybe you were putting on a good show for the 5200girls.

I met Sharon and Kathy at the local coffee shop a few weeks ago when a running friend and I sat at the table next to them. Though I think Kathy is Sandy not Kathy. Could be wrong. Anyway, funny how runners can spot fellow runners. Hope its not the smell :)

Well done on a great week of training.

Superflake said...

Great run Rob. Looks great for a PB at Canberra. Tesso will have to run fast to keep up!

Toasty said...

Great week Rob ...no "Eddie" you are just too fast now not to call you that.

Robert Song said...

That certainly is a quality week of training with some fast Ks in there as well.

Clairie said...

That is an excellent week of training Eddie. You are such a role model for the rest of us.

Clairie said...

That is an excellent week of training Eddie. You are such a role model for the rest of us.

Ewen said...

You're not a role model for me Rob. You're too good and too fast. But hey, by my calculations, Tegwen's long run was at a faster pace... were slowed down by Tesso's girlies?

Don't tell Speedygeoff, buy I'm leaning toward backing you to beat him in Canberra ;)

Unknown said...

Gee, I'm going to have to run fast this year, Rob! That's just to see the dust from your shoes!

Samurai Running said...

Solid week Eddie. A few more like that and a good taper and Canberra will be another good race for you.

By the way I think those girls were chatting you up ;)