14 September, 2008

Twice over the Mountain

Tigger has decided to enter and a 62K ultra which is to be held on 5 October. This ultra marathon inlcudes running up Tambourine Mountain. Tigger did warn Craig and I that she was keen to do hills today, so when we met at Park Road this morning it was decided that we should do a double loop around Mt Coot-tha. I didn't exactly feel in the frame of mind to tackle such a tough run but had suspected that it might be on the program.

It was a terrific morning for running, and except for the long hall up the hill on each loop it was a very enjoyable run. I was concerned whether or not it was the right thing for Craig to be doing since he didn't have a very good run last Sunday, however, he had rested all week and assured us that he would be OK. As it turned out he was, and made it back to Park Road without taking any shortcuts.

Having run the mountain, I am pleased to say that my legs feel good. There is no stiffness or soreness so it would seem that my training is on track and going well. As I have said to my travelling buddies, Darryl and Gidget, the training isn't just about getting you across the finish line, it is also about how quickly you recover after the race. When you have places to go and things to see, as we will on our trip, the recovery time will be very important.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

Tigger is mad. Glad you survived two laps of the mountain Rob.

So true - as tourists you'll be doing heaps of walking between your marathons, so you don't want to be too stiff-legged. Not long to go!

Tigger said...

Eddie is counting the sleeps and making sure that the rest of us I as well!! He is in fine form and is in for a great time. On the plus side, COD and I will have 6 wks to dream up a good welcome home run!
By the way Ewen, it's Eddie's fault I am doing this ultra!

Tesso said...

Did I see Darryl at Glasshouse on Sunday morn??? Maybe it was his evil twin.

Rob said...

Tesso, You did see Darryl. He and Gidget love Glasshouse. The hate to miss any of the Glasshouse events. BTW I have a shirt for you from Scott. i have to find a way to get it to you.

Ewen said...

My apologies Tigger. Did you lose a bet? If not, you'll have to figure out a way to get back at Rob for making you do the ultra.

I still think you're mad.

Tigger said...

Hard to believe Ewen, but I din't loose a bet though I am beginning to think I have lost my marbles! I am working on the assumption that 62 in 1 day is going to be as painful as 3 marathons in 6 wks but I'll have the advantage of rest before Eddie returns and COD and I take him off on, a yet to be decided, mystery tour ... female logic. At least Eddie will have a support team. I won't so that is going to make it "interesting".