01 September, 2008

You Don't have to be Crazy

You don't have to be crazy but it sure does help. I wasn't able to run early on Sunday and was determined to get my long run in somehow. So I decided to drive with Robyn to her workplace at the Carindale Shopping centre which is about 45 minutes form our home on the Brisbane side of Ipswich. I set out from Carindale at 1:00 pm, the hottest part of the day, to run home. I didn't realise just how hot it was. Considering that August was our coldest August in 8 years, I just couldn't believe that the heat would take such a toll on me.

I ran along Old Cleveland Road to Stones Corner, then along Logan Rd, Stanley St, Southbank, Victoria bridge, Coronation Drv, Sylvan Rd, Western Freeway bike path, Centenary Highway bike path, through the back blocks of Wacol to Gailes and Goodna then up the hill to Bellbird Park where home is. 39K in 3:46 and it nearly killed me. It was a very tough run. As Tigger would say, "plenty of character".

I hope I am not crazy enough to try anything like that again.

That bought my total K's for the week to 102 which is the most in a very long time.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

Same here. If you do and die of heat exhaustion, I'll get them to chisel "Rob had plenty of character" on your tombstone.

It was a tad warm here on Sunday too - about 13C at midday :)

Samurai Running said...

You know what they say about things that don't kill you ....Eddie.

Tesso said...

C'mon, you have to try it again and do a better time!

Clairie said...

Thats a great run Rob.

It was extremely hot on Sunday and I made the same error as you..thinking mmm winter so I went out at 9am for a 2hr run. Cut it short at about 80mins and I felt it all day long...just like a 3hr run in the middle of summer!

I must have missed you as I was also on the bikeway along Centenary :)

Tigger said...

It would have been "easier" to have done the marathon swim with me! At least there was plenty of water, though the heat still took its toll. COD better be kind to us this weekend!!!

Unknown said...

Crazy?? Now at last I know why I'm still running!