29 September, 2008

9 more Sleeps

Yes, just nine more sleeps and I am off to the US on my big adventure. I have been taking the training pretty easy, which means I have hardly done any in the last week. Yesterday I did 16k from Park Road with Tigger. We averaged 4:57 which was OK. However while I was running I was thinking how am I ever going to maintain this pace for 42.2K. It never fails to astound me that I am able to run the actual marathon at a faster pace. I do have to be careful though, and regulate my pace well in order to run the whole three.

Yesterday Tigger introduced me to friend of hers who has lived in New York and run the marathon twice. He was able to share some of his experience which was very helpful e.g because the race finishes in Centarl Park be mentally prepared for the fact that once you first enter Cenral Park you still have about 3.5 miles to the finish line.

7 comments:

Tigger said...

You are a rabbit (and I'm the turtle), that's why you can run so fast! Just remember Chicago is a fast course so becareful not to get caught up in the rush and try for your fastest time! Enjoy the views in Niagra, even if it turns out to be cold. Remember Sabots advice for NY and you will complete all three and have the time of your life.

Superflake said...

Good luck Rob. Have fun in the Windy City and the Big Apple. Run fast!

Samurai Running said...

I've also thought it amazing that we can lift to a level beyond what is possible in training.

With the atmosphere in those big city marathons you must be able to run well.

It is just a pity that you will lose so much time at the start. You will be slowed with those massive amounts of people. You won't have to worry too much about going out fast as they will , if anything, hold you back.

Wish I was coming.

Ewen said...

It's getting exciting Rob - sounds like your taper is going perfectly.

At least 3.5 miles sounds shorter than 5.6k!

Have a (good) US beer or three for me in celebration after each race.

Tesso said...

Not long now. I hope you get to visit the odd dodgey internet cafe while you are away so we can find out how you are going.

Anonymous said...

take a few long sleeve tees that you konw you don't want. go to lifeline if you don't have any. many large marathons expect discards and they collect them for the salvos. you don't want to toss a good shirt. it'll be chilly in the am.

i visited niagara in the summer and was chilled.

Clairie said...

Hi Rob,

Not sure if this is my last chance to wish you all the best...but I will take it!!

I hope you have fun and enjoy the run. It is amazing what we can achieve in our races after all the training is behind us and we have tapered well. You can rest in the knowledge that you ARE well prepared and have done all the work.

Even better - I think going away to such exciting places for a run makes it all the more interesting, challenging and rewarding...no matter what the result is.

So enjoy and like Tesso said - keep us in touch in cyberland.
xxx
BIG HUGS