03 November, 2013

Let me have another crack at blogging

It is so long since I posted anything on my Blog that I had trouble remembering the name so that I could sign in. Hats off to you bloggers who have faithfully blogged year in and year out.

I have an iPad now and so have much less hassle actually getting on line.

Now, here is something I haven't shared with too many people, I have a guaranteed entry in the 2014 Boston Marathon through Travelling Fit.

I have not run or trained for a marathon since the 2012 Gold Coast Marathon. I had hoped to run my 10th GC in 2013 but Plantar Fasciitis and Morton's Neuroma (MN) got in the way. The plantar fasciitis has been fixed but the MN is another story. I have some options re the MN. A) operate and cut the nerve between my second and third toe on my right foot, B) a Cortisone injection which only lasts for 6 weeks, or C) experiment with various shoe inserts, orthotics etc.

At the moment I am working with option C and was able to run 15k this morning with relatively no pain. My previous pain free distance was around 10k. I have a doctors referral to have an ultra sound guided cortisone injection and may have to resort to this in order to build the K's needed to be Marathon fit i.e. able to finish, time is not that important. Option A) is an absolute last resort and one I am not willing to even consider.

My 15k this morning was run at 5:31 pace. This is much slower than I used to run but, nevertheless I was pleased with my effort. I will concentrate on improving the distance week by week. Hopefully as distance and fitness improve, the average pace will improve also.

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Good luck with Option C Rob. 5:31s for 15 sounds pretty good to me!

speedygeoff said...

Welcome back to blogging!