27 August, 2005

Saturday 27/8/2005

I helped out at the Springfield Lakes fun run this morning. I helped Di Miller set out the course with road closure signs and witches hats. A couple of hours work. Then I helped on the water table until the last walkers went through. I went back to the start/finish area and ran over the 5k course with a couple of other helpers to fill in the time until the 2k race started. During the 2k race I helped on the finishing shute then helped a little with the packing up before I had to head home.

Mine was a very little effort compared with that of Bob and Di Miller in organising the whole event. They did a fantastic job against the odds. The local council gave them so much grief. Bob and Di have had enough so it was their last today. Thanks Bob and Di.

Tomorrow I am meeting the Park Road crew at 5:30AM. We are planning on about 21k.

One of the helpers I ran with at Springfield today was Peter Hunt, known as Wombat, (not our CR Wombat). Peter is the Captain of the Brisbane Road Runners 500k relay team. He is getting stuck into me already about training for the relayto be run in November, my 3rd this year. The relay requires team members to run their guts out for 3 to 6 k's at least 3 time a day over three days. You run your guts out because there is no way you want let your team mates down. When your team mate comes in utterly spent and tags you you just know that you have to give it all you've got.

It's a tremendous event to be part of and raises funds for the Endeavour Foundation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you're wonderful the way you help out so much at fun runs, Eddie.....very generous indeed!

There are two Wombats?? Well, I never!