01 April, 2006

1 week to go

This time next week I will be in Canberra and heading off to lunch at Manuka with my running friends. The main topic of conversation will most likely be running and probably more specifically the Canberra Marathon, the reason for the invasion of the Nations Capital.

On Sunday April 9 at 7:00 AM almost a thousand of us will be at the start line for the 30th Canberra Marathon. This will be my 6th marathon since I first started running in September 2001. I ran my first marathon at the Gold Coast in July 2004.

Being a runner has changed my life. It's not just the exercise and health benefits, it's the total sense of well being that comes from working and achieving and being part of the running community.

At the start line on Sunday I will be among so many friends who encourage and support each other. This is a very special part of what running a marathon is about. There is, however, very little that can compare to elation of having endured and to have crossed the finish line. That is truly special.

What a runner experiences during a marathon is a very personal journey which is almost impossible to articulate but one which expresses itself in so many ways in our lives from that point onwards.

5 comments:

Robert Song said...

Nice sentiments Eddie.

Tesso said...

Great post Eddie.

Sometimes we get so caught up in what we are doing. Its nice to be brought back down to earth and reminded about why we run.

See ya next weekend.

Clairie said...

Wow Eddie, great words. I don't feel worthy to run the marathon next weekend now....but I will. And I will show it the respect it deserves.

Count me as one of your friends on the line there to support you :)

Ewen said...

It will be a special day Eddie.

Dave said...

Eddie, very true words. Looking forward to seeing you out on the course!