10 April, 2006

My Canberra Marathon

On Sunday 9 April 2006 I ran my 6th marathon, my 2nd in Canberrra. There is a marvelloous atmosphere at this event. It is a very accessible event and therefore attended by many CoolRunners. This makes it very social and a time to catch with old friends and meet some of the CooolRunners whom you have come to know in to some degree via the CoolRunning website.

We have spent a lot of time conversing with eachother over the internet. An event like Canberra becomes very special.

Congratulations to Norma, Claire, Tara and Matt on there great individual achievements. I was privileged to spend time with them on the weekend to to be able to share some of their excitement.

For me, the weekend, a gift from Robyn my wife, exceeded all expectations. I will always treasure the experience.

My run went very well except for the last 4K's which were very hard. I had run out of steam.

Finishing in 3:21:27 was a special added bonus to the whole weekend.

9 comments:

Superflake said...

Excellent time Eddie considering you have not had the best preparation for this one. And you just managed to keep Clairie at bay. Congratulations.

Horrie said...

Yet another fantastic result Eddie. You really are the master of consistency. Congratulations on a fantastic result and managing to keep ahead of Clairie for this time at least.

Tesso said...

Big congrats Eddie. Gosh, flying up the finishing straight you looked like you were just starting the race - happy, fresh, fast etc etc.

And how much fun was it just hanging out with everyone for the weekend. It all went too fast ... a bit like you on Sunday morn :-)

Clairie said...

Eddie, what can I say?

It just felt right to have you there in front of me - out of reach but still in sight. Made me relax and feel that I was doing the right thing and on target.

I was so excited going over the bridge just before the 39km mark to see you below. I waved like a lunatic but you were in the zone.

It was a wonderful experience and now I understand. I really do. Seeing you limping last year I couldn't and thought you were all nuts, now, I just want to be out there with you all again!!!!!!

Thanks for your support and hugs and thanks especially to Robyn for such a thoughtful wonderful present. It was a gift to all of us to have you there.

Ewen said...

It was great to catch up with you Eddie. You ran well and looked pretty good out on the course - even in the last 4k.

Toasty said...

A real pleasure to meet you. I have a clear memory of you coming over the bridge jut before the 39K. I guess I was where you were when Clairie was came through at the same point. Sometimes it is the amazing high of the first one and then for me and I suspect you too, a handshake just across the finish line is all you need on a job well done.

Robert Song said...

Eddie,

Thanks for your company over the weekend. I enjoyed immensely chatting with you. You have certainly come a long way in your short running career. Long may you run.


Oh and good race.

Unknown said...

Eddie, that was a fabulous time you ran for the marathon! You have to be very pleased with that...well, I am anyhow!

So good to see you again too; I wonder when the next time will be?

Unknown said...

Eddie, that was a fabulous time you ran for the marathon! You have to be very pleased with that...well, I am anyhow!

So good to see you again too; I wonder when the next time will be?