22 November, 2006

Now the Relay is Over

What next? Now the 500K Relay is over what will I focus on? I think the answer is the Canberra Marathon.

The 500K Relay. What an experience! Last weekend I participated in my 4th 500K Summer Challenge. A fund raiser for the Endeavour Foundation which which is a support group for over 3000 interlectually handicapped people in Queensland.... my brother, Lindsay, being one of them. This year $100,002.00 was raised.

Our team, Brisbane Road Runners, came 8th out of 19 teams. The relay began at Helensvale at the northern end of the Gold Coast at 4:45 AM (I was picked up by our team bus at 1:45 AM).

The relay is broken into stages and sections. Sections average about 5K in distance and times are recorded at the beginning and end of each stage. A stage can consist of any number of sections. A stage begins and ends where it possible to park, off road, 19 22 seater buses, 19 follow vehicles, 19 drop off vehicles, 19 water vehicles, and the Relay Directors vehicle, an ambulance, a police car, and other support vehicles.

This cavalcade wound it's way around southeast Queensland for three days. From Helensvale to Beaudesert to Boonah to Warwick to Toowoomba to Gatton and finishing in Ipwsich.

I ran 8 sections, the maximum a team member can run. I didn't get much sleep so it has taken me a couple of days to get back on track.

I can't wait to do it again neext year.

6 comments:

Clairie said...

Heh Eddie...wondered where you go to. Thats a great effort on running 8 legs - you must have been totally knackered after that. Hope you are recovered by now.

YAHHHHH CANBERRA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tesso said...

Well done Eddie! And the rest of the gang who were out there slogging away in the sun. That's such a fantastic result, over $100,000. You should be proud to have been a part of it.

Congrats on the BRRC team, you had some mighty tough competition and to finish in 8th place is pretty bloody good.

After missing the last few hopefully I'll be back there for my number 4.

Ewen said...

Wow - that sounds bigger than the Tour de France!

Well done on doing 8 stages Eddie. That's fantastic - and raising so much money for a worthy cause.

Come on Canberra!

Toasty said...

Congratulations Eddie, what a great effort and experience. You are the third to mention Canberra counting Clairie and Robert Song. I bet Ewen and Tesso also have it in their plans. I better book accommodation before it's all gone. ... I didn't mean to write that last sentence ... just thinking out aloud.

Unknown said...

Canberra? Is it that close so soon? What a great effort you've made for a good cause...see you in Canberra.....but I won't be doing the marathon this time!

TD said...

Yes, a tremendous effort there Eddie and one that showed great commitment from you for a very special cause.