30 April, 2007

Marathons

With less than 9 weeks to the Gold Coast Marathon I am back on the road.Last week I ran 6 days and clocked up 73K's including 27 on Sunday 29th. I managed to run the 27 at an average pace of 4:57. I haven't been doing any speed work or hills etc. I just don't have the get up and go at this stage.

I won't be putting as much effort into training for Gold Coast as I did for Canberra. I have always had high expectations of myself at the Gold Coast and, except the the first in 2004, have been disappointed in my results. For some reason I have found GC a hard course and have enjoyed Sydney and Canberrra more.

The Gold Coast will be my 9th Marathon and I will just be running it as I feel on the day with no expecations of a PB or anything splendid like that. I will just be looking to keep it under 3:30, anything better will be a bonus.

My marathon history so far:

1. Gold Coast 2004 3:21:58
2. Sydney 2004 3:18:40
3. Canberra 2005 3:25:59
4. Gold Coast 2005 3:31:16
5. Toowoomba 2005 3:30:29
6. Canberra 2006 3:21:27
7. Gold Coast 2006 3:22:59
8. Canberra 2007 3:14:55

7 comments:

Tesso said...

Compared to most there's not much difference between your fastest and slowest marathon.

Why not go for just under 3:25 at the GC then I can try to hang on to you the whole way :-)

Samurai Running said...

Hey Eddie

Sounds like a good plan. While it is good not to expect too much I reckon you'll be carrying improved legs and lungs into the Gold Coast marathon from your effort in Canberra,so I wouldn't completely give up on a fast race.

A, Gold Coast, course record could be in done.

Robert Song said...

That is a great series of race times. Very consistent. Each PB is harder to better than the last but I'm sure if you gave it a full six months of preparation that you could easily get under 3:10.

As for me, there is about 75 minutes between my fastest and slowiest and 23 years between my first and last!

IHateToast said...

i am betting you'll do better than you think if you just don't think. dos that make sense? train for a marathon, but don't run for a pb. you have enough of an issue with the gc, so if you just run it, you might find you do better than your previous gc results.

and you know i'll be there cheering. outfits already being planned.

Peterhorse said...

i'll have a wager that you can't help yourself and will better your previous GCM times - the relaxed approach will probably mean you enjoy the whoel thing a lot more...the pressure's off after your fabbo Canberra PB. Enjoy!

Ewen said...

That's a good list of times Eddie. I didn't realise you've only been running marathons for a few years.

You still have the base from Canberra, so you never know. The relaxed start is a good plan. You'll probably fly past Tesso at 30k and run 3:21.

Toasty said...

this could be the year GC is kind to you