18 January, 2007

A Change of Category

Today is my last day in the 50-54 Age Category. Tomorrow I turn 55 and still have no prospect of winning my age category races. From what I have seen the competition intensifies as you get older.

Never-the-less I still, after having been running for only a little over 5 years, harbour a belief that there lurks within me the ability to pull another PB out of the hat. I will be extatic if I can do that in Canberra.

For the first time, while training on my own, I actually managed to stick at, and complete a set of fartleks. (2 x 60 sec, 4 x 30 sec, 2 x 60 sec, 4 x 30 sec, 2 x 60sec while doing a 10K ru over rolling hillls) .

5 comments:

Robert Song said...

Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

Good news for me though. One less tough rival in the 50 - 54 age group. Although I guess there is always those young 50 year olds taking your place.

What is you PB?

Tesso said...

Wow, I didn't realise you were THAT old ;-) You sure don't look it.

I wouldn't worry about the competitors in your new category, you're still giving the young bucks something to worry about.

Have a happy one!

speedygeoff said...

Ah in Canberra 2007 in the M55s you have Trevor Jacobs just turned 55 too, Eagle is having a go, and myself (previous race winner hem hem) to contend with, and that's only the three I know. And I was Susan Hobson's coach for four years before she joined Clohessy! That should give you confidence in her training program!

Ewen said...

Happy birthday Eddie! I think you've got Speedygeoff covered. Not so sure about Eagle. Trev will probably run another 2:47, even after thrashing himself at 6'.

Well done on sticking to the program :)

speedygeoff said...

Hey Ewen, whose side are you on here?