09 January, 2007

Susan Hobson

I have decided that my trainng fo Canberra needs to be more structured tahn my training for previous marathons so i took a look at the programs avilable on at: http://www.canberramarathon.com.au/index.php?pageid=123. I have opted for the Susan Hobson Sub 3:30 Program. Susan explains the progam well and it looks like one I should be able to adhere to.

This morning I did a 10K steady run followed by 6x100m strides. "Steady" means: runnning just within your comfort zone but running the first 15 minutes at easy pace to warm up. I amanaged an average of 4:40 per for the run.

I wasn't sure how I would go with the strides after running 10k. After measuring out 100 metres I thought well here goes. I was amazed! I felt so light and fast. It was an incredible sensation. I really enjoyed the remaining five sets. It was good to feel so good, mentally at least, after a training session. It seems a while since I felt like that.

4 comments:

Clairie said...

Hi Eddie,

What do you mean sub 3:30....?? You ought to be training for sub 3:15!!!!

cmon get the legs moving and move up a few gears. Only 10 more long runs before the taper now!

Tesso said...

That is like when we do a steady 50 minute run at Pat's and then follow it up with a 'no watch 1k'. Clairie and I always do the steady run at a pretty good pace (say around 4:30 to 4:40). When it comes to doing the 1k we end up running way faster than we think we are.

Oh, and I'm with Clairie on the sub 3:15. For you that is, not me!

Ewen said...

I like the new blog title Eddie.

Susan Hobson is a good coach as well as being a pretty handy ex-marathoner.

TD said...

Interesting post, Eddie, as just last weekend I looked at both Pat's program and Susan's. I opted for Pat's but I did follow Susan's for my 2003 Canberra Marathon. Personally, I don't think there is much between them. Both will produce the goods if one follows the program closely.

Have just got to agree with Clairie and Tesso about sub 3.30. You're an excellent runner. My legs told me that as they struggled up Highgate Hill beside you in December.