14 January, 2007

Pleased with Myself

Well I have managed to stick with the marathon training program for one whole week. Amazing! I have run every one of the 76K's in the prescribed manner. Today's long run was 26K's. I started out nice and easy..15 minutes at 5:30 pace, then uped the pace to 5:00 per K, and finished the last 15minutes at 4:30 pace. There were a few variations throughout but overall I managed an average pace of 4:56 per K. The humidity was extremely high but there was cloud cover, so conditions weren't too bad.

My total K's for the previous week was 60 and the most I had done for some time. To jump up 16K in a week I thought might be a big ask, but I am glad to have achieved it and still feel pretty good. The week's training has given me a much needed mental boost.

This week will see a total of 82K, including a 30K run next Sunday. It is a long time since I put in that sort of effort and am looking forward to the challenge.

6 comments:

Ewen said...

You should be Eddie! Good students like yourself are hard to come by. Susan would be proud :)

Unknown said...

Hi Eddie,
Just thought I'd let you know that I'm also using Sue Hobson's Marathon Prog. for Canberra. I'm looking at improving on my time of 3:32 from last year.
I'm 4 weeks into the programme and so far so good. Got through my 26k run today in just over 2 hrs and was able to pick up the pace over the last 5kms as Sue suggests.
The programme looks to be sensibly layed out and not too demanding, so let's hope it helps us attain our goals.

Looking forward to catching up with you again in April.

JD

Clairie said...

That is a great effort Eddie. Well done mate. I am so looking forward to running past you in Canberra.

Oh - by running past I mean when you go in the other direction as I am still heading out to Black Mountain :)

Nonetheless it will still be good to be able to keep the gap between us without you racing off out of sight all the time. .....so now you know my goal!

Tesso said...

Gee, looks like there's going to be a real roadblock in Canberra with all you sub 3:20 people out there. No argy bargy now ;-)

No doubt the traffic will have cleared by the time I mosey on through.

Robert Song said...

Eddie,
Wow, a structured training program. You are going to be dangerous now. And JD as well.

I am looking forward to another great weekend in Canberra.

TD said...

Yep, great effort there Eddie and I hope the training continues to fall into place.

I'm in Los Angeles enroute to New York as I type this, feeling jet lagged and crappy and wondering how I will keep my marathon training on track!.

I need happy stories like yours to keep me focussed and motivated.