14 February, 2007

Life on the Run

After the long run on Sunday, I enjoyed the 12K easy on Monday. However, during the run I realised my right calf was very tight and would need some nursing. It was just at that point where you know the wrong move or sudden exertion could do some damage. On Tuesday, Susan's progam called for an Anaerobic Threshold session and I knew I would have to have a strategy to deal with this. The session called for 12k including 4 x4 min @ AT with 2 min slow jog recovery between.

I decided to take the long way down to the local sporting field and use the grass running track for the AT session then take the short way home. This worked out really well. the run down was a little over 5K. The AT session on the track wasn't really run at the required pace as I was still very conscious of the tight calf. Never-the-less after 5K on the track I ceratinly felt like I had a good workout. Then it was 2 K home.

This morning's 18K was done with the tight calf still to the forefront of my mind. I ended up averaging 5:10 K's which was exactly the same as the 18 k two weeks ago. So that wasn't too bad. I am pleased to say that after a good stretching session following this morning's run, the calf feels much better. Bring on the Tempo + Hills tomorrow........what am I saying!

7 comments:

Peterhorse said...

you're so compliant with your program Rob, it's great to see....but looking forward to hills? hmmmm

Tesso said...

Yes, what are you saying! Obviously still on a high from a couple of great days of running.

TD said...

You must have consulted a good Vet for your calf, Eddie. Did you get a referral from Ewen (his last post refers)?

Great to see again that the program remains on track. Your very sensible commitment to it seems to be paying dividends.

Robert Song said...

I think what Susan says on Page 1 of her program under HOW TO USE THE PROGRAM, are very wise words.

I know my body would struggle with the increasing volume and faster sessions at the same time that you are doing. Take care, I am counting on you being there at the starting line.

Robert Song said...

Toot , Toot.

Can't say you never get tooted now!

Ewen said...

Tempo and hills after an 18k - that Susan is sounding tough!

I see Don has run out of puns. Calves don't like running Eddie, they like grazing. Herd them carefully.

Clairie said...

Hee Hee sounds like you are enjoying your running program Eddie! :)