12 March, 2007

A Wee bit Hot

I thought I was going to die yesterday. We set out from Park Road at 4:50 AM and 15 minutes into the run I was dripping sweat. What shocker. I think it was the hottest and most humid morning of the entire summer. Had we known it was going to be so awful I don't think we would have chosen to go the Western Freeway - Oxley - StLucia route. We counted 24 hills. Though I was supposed to do 34K we arrived back in 32 and there was no way I was going to keep on going for another 2K. I was totally stuffed. My Garmin said I averaged 5:09. I was having real trouble trying to imagine doing 42.2 @ 4:40 pace. It seems totally inconceivable.

The 12k recovery this morning was run at 5:40 pace. I coped with that OK.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Have to agree with you about yesterday. I only did 20k and had a 15 minute break at Chalk in the middle of it. Don't tell the water police but I reckon I downed more than my fair share for the day there and then :-)

Today seemed cooler though more humid. I can't recall being so drenched in sweat!

Anyway, Canberra is bound to be waaaaaay cooler and waaaaaay less humid mid April. In those conditions 4:40s will feel like a walk in the park for you.

Samurai Running said...

I agree with Tesso.

With a good taper and cooler weather 4:40 will be easier than even 6:00 minutes per K in that heat and humidity.

Also maybe as it's getting late in your training your body is a tad tired.

Tomorrow's another day, as they say.

All the best with the remainder of your preparation.

Ewen said...

It's already getting cooler in the mornings Eddie. Don't worry!

You'll be blasting along at 4:40s wearing the traditional two jumpers that Qlders wear and not sweating a drop.

Stick with it!

Peterhorse said...

Rob, you know better than I that the LSD is meant to achieve a certain body adaptation and pace is meant to be 30secs to 90secs slower than goal pace. Given the heat and humidity and the pace you did, you should be looking at better than 4:40's anyway...hehehe.
The thing i keep reminding myself is that you only have to do it once and that's on the day itself when all the previous sessions do their job and combine to get you your goal...i'm backing you IN!!!

TD said...

I'm impressed with those 24 hills! I wasn't sure I had read that right, but OMG Eddie you ran a beauty in those conditions.

Agree fully with the others about what you will get in Canberra, as you will well remember from your race down here last year.

As Ewen says too, the autumn pattern has started to arrive and we are already getting lovely sub-10 degree mornings.

Not long now Eddie. I will regret not being there to see you and cheer you on but knowing you, and the type of person you are, I reckon you will run a race you will be proud of.

(Thanks also for your ongoing comments on my blog. You always have a way of making me feel good)