19 February, 2006

Sunday ALive

I am soooo happy with this morning's run. The good thing about it is that I felt as if I could have kept going. After 34K's that is a good feeling. It was only 2 weeks ago that I did 28K and couldn't take another step. After last week's 32K I had had enough. Today seemed to be a tad cooler so that would have been a factor.

We set out this morning a little after 5 from Park Road, headed into the city along the river to the Goodwill Bridge, up Highgate Hill (a challenge). As we were heading down the other side one of my buddies got thrown by a black belt green ant. She took some skin off her hand and hurt her ankle but soldiered on. We headed through Dutton Park, around past the beginnings of the new bridge going over the river to the University. We considered what a temptation to cutting our runs short this bridge is going present.

On through Yeronga and Tennyson, over Oxley Creek through Chelmer and over the Indoorooplly Bike/Pedestrian bridge. I parted with my buddies here as they were taking a more direct route back to Park Road. I continued on past the Golf Club and onto the University where I did a 5K circuit to make up some distance. This presented a bit of a mental challenge as I would have liked to have just kept on going but I thought I better not pike or I would regret it later. On I went through St Lucia to Toowong where I ran into the wonderful Tesso as she was nearing home after her Sunday outing. I then headed along the river on the bike path to exit at Park Road. I always dread this part of the run as by the time I get to this strecth along the river the sun is beating down and there is no shade. It is a bit of a horror stretch. Nevertheless, I handled it pretty well and was pleasantly surprised at how good I felt.

After 3:04:37 for the 34K I was pleased to sit down with my Strong Flat White and a bottle of Ginger Beer. I find Ginger beer a really refreshing drink after a run. So, another Sunday long run finished and I am feeling ALIVE.

2 comments:

Robert Song said...

I think the weather was a lot better this morning. Lets hope it is nice and cool in Canberra.

"Black belt ant" hahahaha.

Tesso said...

You were hootin' this morning when I spotted you Eddie, hard to believe you were almost at the end of a 34k run - now I know why those Hashers called you Fast Eddie!

But hey, I really almost didn't recognise you dressed in black. Is this some secret training tactic?

We ran almost the same run yesterday, but in reverse. Hmmm, maybe I can just cut and paste your blog entry and tell people to read it backwards ;-)