26 February, 2006

Sunday at West End

Another Long Run/Race combo this morning. As I needed to do another long run today and didn't want to miss the BRRC run at West End I decided to start at Park Road, Milton and run via the Goodwill Bridge to the club run. That gave me a 7.6K warm up. I had time to sign in and say hello to a few runners including Hannah, Karisma and Robert Song, and hugs from Tesso and Clairie.

I wasn't sure what I was going to accomplish in the 20K club run. Having had a good warm up I was able to settle into the race pretty quickly, which pleased me gteatly. at about 2.5 k i checked my average pace and was a bit shocked to see it at 4:23. I thought I am not going to be able to maintain that. I knew however that I would slow a bit without making a cons cious effort to do so. My pace did stay fairly consistent throughout except in the last lap (4 x 5K laps) I checked the pace for the last time in about the same spot as in the first lap and my average was again 4:23. I finished the 20K in 1:30:40. Slightly over 4:30 pace.

My run back to Park Road was a bit shorter because I cut accross the Victoria Bridge. The total K's this morning were 33 and total running time was 2:38.

Congratulations to Clairie who ran a strong 1:34 20 K this morning.

5 comments:

Tesso said...

Eddie, you were moving so fast in the 20k I had no idea it was just part of your long run.

Well done! You must be feeling a lot more confident about Canberra now.

Robert Song said...

That was certainly a good run this morning. Also explains why I didn't see you after I finished.

Clairie said...

Well done this morning Eddie.

After doing a 5km warmup with Tesso and feeling pretty shitty I had no plans for the run. But then seeing you ahead of me gave me motivation to keep you insight. I lost you after the first lap but by then I was in a groove and feeling good so all was well.

It was very inspiring to see you on each lap and get a wave/smile/slap so thanks for that. I only wished I could have slowed you down so I could catch up a bit LOL.

See ya at the half champs mate :)

Horrie said...

4:30 pace is nothing to sneeze at Eddie. That's a good idea to include it in your long run. I'm not that dedicated. I would have been happy with the 20km in 90 minutes. So things are certainly looking good for you heading into Canberra.

Ewen said...

33km including 20k that fast! You're in good shape Eddie.