28 March, 2005

Monday 28/3/2005

Well the easter eggs are kicking in. I had a good run this morning - 12K @ ave 5min. I know I said I was going to do a long run but I have decided on a new strategy to keep me going until Canberra. I am going to stick to my 12k circuit - nothing else, just the 12k at least 5 times each of of the last 2 weeks. Speed work seems to be a serious hindrance to my health and wellbeing at the moment.

I am going to rethink my whole Gold Coast program as well and am not sure to what degree, if any, speed training will play a part. Over these last 6 weeks I have felt like a complete wreck. I handled being out for 10 weeks in 2003 from a stress fracture better than I have handled my injuries this year. I think I was expecting so much more from myself. As a mate of mine reminded me, prior to the Gold Coast and Sydney Marathons last year I was really pumped up and raring to go. Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely looking forward to Canberra, I just have some reservations about how it will go for me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Eddie, thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog.
I understand what you mean when you say you have reservations about the Canberra marathon; the only time I haven't had reservations was my first one, when I didn't realize what was involved in running a marathon! Since then, it's always a case of reservations, doubts etc. but I believe that can work for us, not against us during the run.
Like me, you'll do the best you can & who can ask for anything more? Not even Chickybabe can!

Horrie said...

It's horses for courses Eddie. Do what you think works for you. I have felt a lot fresher mentally since quitting Pat's program. I get to decide when I do speedwork and I don't have any expectations to live up to. As LL says, we've all just got to do our best on the day. I'm sure you will be in Canberra giving it your best. Looking forward to meeting you there.

Superflake said...

Eddie, just do whatever you want to do to get you to the start line fresh. If that means going light on runs for the next 2 weeks then "Just Do It". And see you in Canberra young man!

Tesso said...

For different reasons, of course, I go through phases of feeling just a little the same way mentally. Big reservations, fear, panic, lack of confidence .... Why? Who knows.

But what I do know is we are really missing you at Pat's. It doesn't seem the same without your smiling face. Hope you can join us again soon.