13 March, 2005

Sunday 13/3/2005

At last!!!! A long run. Yahooooo! After making the decision to sacrifice the Brisbane Road Runners Half Marathon championship race for a 3 hour training run, I arranged to meet some running buddies at Park Road at 5:00AM.

Saturday night I got my gear ready and set the alarm for 4:05AM. Plenty of time to get ready and drive to Park Road.

Sunday morning I awoke, not to the alarm but to the light of the dawning Sun filtering through the curtains. I took a look at the alarm clock - the digital display was flashing. I jumped out of bed horrified, raced to the kitchen to check the battery operated clock - 5:30Am.

I made it to Park Road at 6:15AM and set off on my 3 Hour run all by myself. BooHoo.

I set off to Newstead and beyond, whatever distance 1Hr 30 min would take me.
Besides feeling a bit down, I was otherwise, feeling pretty good. My spirits were lifted when I met my running buddies along the river between New Farm and Breakfast Creek. They, of course, were heading back. I still had another 30 mins before I could turn around.

I was able to maintain a fairly steady pace, I had a GU at the turn around, which was just under 18 K's and kept up the water the whole way. I carry a small water bottle in my hand and keep it topped up the various taps along the way. I find belts really annoying.

After 35.5K and 2:58:37 I arrived back at Park Road feeling exhausted but elated. My buddies plus other friends who had been at the Club run were drinking coffee and they gave me a big cheer which topped off the morning very nicely. Bad start.......good ending. This morning's run has given my confidence for Canberra a much needed boost.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Excellent run today Eddie. Looks good for Canberra now. How was the hip feeling after the long run.

Clairie said...

Way to go Eddie. Hope the hip is not too troubling today after yesterdays' long run.

See you Tuesday for some quality speed!

Tesso said...

Hey Eddie, so good to see things are back on track for Canberra - you had us just a little worried for while.

Must say BRRC didn't seem the same without you yesterday, but with Canberra just four weeks away ya gotta do what ya gotta do.